Life Journeys Counselling & Training Inc. presents Basic Training in Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR). This course is approved by the Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing International Association (EMDRIA). It follows the EMDRIA's currently recommended curriculum: 6 days of training including 4 practica, plus 10-hours of Consultation. Registrants must take all components of the training. Consultations may be taken as part of this course (included in cost) or privately. This is a comprehensive course, not a workshop, so participants are asked to spend time doing a Pre study, review the materials thoroughly, put time aside for self-care, and to practice the skills they learn in order to get the most out of this course.
Sue Genest, BA (1st Class Hons.), MSc. CCC. RCC. is a certified EMDR therapist, EMDRIA Approved Consultant and EMDR Training Provider. She has been working in health care for over 26 years. She has specialized in trauma work using EMDR, Hakomi body psychotherapy, and various methods to address the whole person. She works with individuals and groups addressing trauma (e.g. abuse, car accidents), addictions, grief, anxiety, stress, depression, self esteem, health, and relationship issues. She has worked with the following populations: individuals struggling with various mental health issues (e.g. PTSD, Depression, Bipolar, Schizophrenia), individuals with varying disabilities; minorities (e.g. Aboriginal, LGBTQ+, immigrants), correctional offenders (e.g. Childhood trauma, personality disorders, military trauma); cancer patients, general public, student populations, and corporate professionals (E.g. EnCana, Enmax). She is a Canadian Certified Counsellor and Registered Clinical Counsellor in BC. She graduated from The University of Calgary with her 1st class Honors BA in Psychology and her Master of Science degree in Counselling Psychology. She has won numerous awards for her academic work and taught several classes at the University including counselling skills, lifespan development; mind/body/spirit medicine; qualitative research; and sexuality. She has publications and presentations in the area of counselling, pediatrics, qualitative research, and sexuality.
• to use the basic eight phase EMDR protocol, effectively and safely, and adapt it to special situations and populations.
• to understand the research and theoretical positions on EMDR.
• to be familiar with variations on the basic protocol for special populations.
• to understand legal and ethical considerations in the use of EMDR.
• the research on EMDR; review of the research, discussion of controversy/social psychology of innovation.
• the psychology of trauma and diagnosis of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder.
• theoretical explanations for EMDR; accelerated information processing; alternate explanations; brain research; caveats.
• the 8 phases of EMDR treatment.
• EMDR and special populations.
Participants learn to use EMDR appropriately and effectively in a variety of applications. Such use is based on understanding the theoretical basis of EMDR, safety issues, integration with a treatment plan, and supervised practice.
The course is in two sessions with a Pre-study and 10 hours of consultation by an EMDRIA Approved Consultant.
For more information, prestudy information and registration process please click here